Saturday 19 April 2014

Achtung! Incoming!

Been a bit distracted this week works been busy and kids have been home all day as its been Easter so time has been lacking lol. Hobby wise not a great deal has been going on. Varnished the  Scavengers I finished last week and under coated the Hasslefree figures on my painting table.





In other news I've been bitten by the historical bug that is Bolt Action. Having resisted the historical side of the hobby for a long time its finally crumbled. Some late night chats on facebook with some buddies I nearly ended up selling my Empire of the Dead stuff and taking up Bolt Action instead. The main thinking behind it is I want to start going to clubs to game and Bolt Action seems quite popular and easy match up against people and play. There are some blogger friends who've tried the game and a few clubs I've looked at and through some facebook groups already met some people who I could game against to.

Before I could get any further with organising the sale of my EotD stuff a SURPRISE parcel arrived on Thursday evening from my good friend Drew (Doctor Warlock) not only did the packaging amuse me greatly. It contained two sets of Wargames Factory World War 2 figures! and a couple of dog miniatures There are a few figures in each box started to be built but none painted. What a generous gift! I'm told they've been sitting around for a while and weren't being used but I am seriously chuffed. With a few infantry support weapons I can do Late war American and German 500 pt forces.




I don't have the rules yet but the Warlord Games has an army builder that allows you to build up 500pt armies the website also has sample armies that you can buy at certain points values so they are good guides.

I made a start Friday night and put a few together they are nicely detailed plastic figures and size wise I think will fit in quite well with most of the common manufacturers the cool thing about Bolt Action they seem to be relaxed on what figures you use and from where. I had planned to do either Fallschrimjager or Italian paratroopers as I purely like the uniform style. I'll do these two forces first and get to grips with the game.

You get 30figures in a set a good selection of gear in the boxes. kar98k's, Scoped and rifle grenade variants, gewehr 43's, MP40's, panzerfausts, mg42 light machine guns. pouches, pistols. You get loose and with hands attached crouched poses. The American GI sprues are pretty much the same BAR's, M1 Carbines, M1 Garands, Thompsons and Grease guns etc.. Only thing missing really is STG44 assault rifles but you can pick up sprues of these else where and convert them your self.



Size comparison pics with some Artizan Partisan fighters I had kicking around.




The HQ front and back these are all standard off the sprue though they have had the mp40 ammo pouches added and the middle guy I removed his hand and rotated it round slightly.




The start of the first rifleman squad. They follow most WGF sprues you need to match up the numbers next to the rifles to match up the arms easier. The gear on the back can only go into certain bodies they have shaped connection pegs that only match up with the correct body. Not sure about the scope on the G43 (middle guy) yet i've left it on for now want to do some research into how many would actually come with a scope as standard.


The German's will do some double duty in 7TV as well as I quite like the idea of doing Eagles Nest scenario with my Avengers characters I made :)


37 comments:

  1. Top stuff! (you lucky person, you) - as an aside; ain't wargamers a generous bunch of people =)

    Now, Schnell! Schnell!

    You'll be going over to the dark side of historical gaming in next to no time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah! Andrew beat me to the dark side joke =)

      Delete
    2. Wargamers are an amazingly generous bunch of people.

      Delete
  2. I look forwards to seeing where this takes you mate. :)

    And very kind of drew. Kudos to that man. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers it was very kind indeed. You might find us giving it a try mate seeing as you've played it before.

      Delete
  3. How many projects in the go now lol! Not into the historical stuff myself (yet) but look forward to seeing how these turn out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it will end leading to forces for all sides and theatres eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with this new project Brummie. I hope you find a club that suits you. I would suggest you contact them prior to going that way they will be prepared for you and may even put a game on for your liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. Yeah I'm going to arrange it with some people I know who are already members so should work out.

      Delete
  6. Hola
    Gran regalo si seƱor
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds grand, Simon. I think you'll thoroughly enjoy Bolt Action. It is my choice for modern skirmish games - from WW1 on up..

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very generous gift! My WW2 project has stalled as I am swamped with all sorts of new shineys. I have also decided I need a Sgt Rock, Unknown Soldier, and the Haunted Tank for a fun aesthetic vibe! I am searching for an appropiate ACW mounted officer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol i'm trying to stick to historical side of ww2 but I must admit there are some great weird war miniatures.

      Delete
  9. Nice pressie Simon.
    I've heard that there are zombie rules for this. Was thinking about an all zombie German force using the Studio plastic German zombies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Will have to check that out. I quite fancy a commando or paratrooper raid against a German Occult base.

      Delete
  10. Excellent present. I have to say that these look nicer than the Warlord figures which are a bit too "cartoony" for me!

    It'll be tanks next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they both look nice. I really like the look of the Foundry Commando's and Para's

      Delete
  11. Cool. The size and positioning of the scope is a good representation of the ZFK43 IMO. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ZF4-ZFK43-dow-G43-K43-sniper-scope-mount-rubber-cover-/171042741285

    Bolt Action's recent partnership w Italeri to produce 28mm injection molded vehicles caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great. I have removed the scopes off of the g43 that are amongst the standard infantry and kept it on the sniper (Next post)

      Delete
  12. Great models Simon , really detailed .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're nice looking figures, though WGF must do the worst box art in the hobby. They look like a grade school computer graphics project. However, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.
    Cheers,
    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit the box art is well odd. The figures are great however.

      Delete
  14. They look rather nice figures and I am rather surprised as WF do not rate high, glad to be proved wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really nice mate. The Gi's and the Male survivors are both great plastic kits. I have a few male zombies which could do with re-doing imo

      Delete
  15. Totally agree with you Simon as I have been looking at flogging my EOTD stuff. Might keep some just to do a Sherlock Holmes version of 7TV. Love Bolt Action and I have Fallschirmjager and Japanese 1000pt forces. You will probably have your well painted before me though. Kudos to Drew, generous to a tee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still thinking about. Might use them for IHMN instead.

      Cool I quite like the look of Chindits and US marines. TBH I like most forces

      Delete
  16. Great news.

    I am working on some Dads Army figures who would be happy to fight your Germans...Who do you think you are kidding Mr Quinton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making notes, Captain, and your name will go on the list; and when we win the war you will be brought to account.

      Sounds like a plan :)

      Delete
  17. They look rather good and fit in nicely with the figures you alreayd have, with is a bonus

    ReplyDelete
  18. Will be interested in seeing what you do with this project.

    I've been looking at the Wargames Factory's Soviets but they're a long way down the 'to buy' list at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there anything like the German and US sets you'll be pleased with them.

      Delete