Saturday 26 April 2014

German Force update

Been busy all week building my Wargames Factory German's sent to me by my mate Drew. Reading into it and joining a Bolt Action Facebook group I found that around 500points  is the size to aim for to start with as pick up games at clubs are either at that level or slightly smaller (400).

Theres a handy online tool that you can create an account for and you can build your army that way. I've gone for a Generic force at the moment as I'm not sure on a particular theatre I want to go with yet. But that doesn't mean you can choose one of the forces and play against others.

Its quite a useful tool with good options for saving your platoons. You can calculate points before adding to it.


So far the 500 point force is as follows

First Lieutenant with additional Soldier

9 man Heer Grenadier Infantry Squad  (Regular)
2 Assault Rifle's (STG 44) and 1 LMG (MG42)

9 man Heer Grenadier Infantry Squad (Regular)
2 Assault Rifle's (STG 44) and 1 LMG (MG42)

9 man Heer Grenadier Infantry Squad (Regular)
2 Assault Rifle's (STG 44) and 1 LMG (MG42)

Sniper Team (Regular)


Here is the whole force so far I tried to make the NCO's stand as if they where signalling to advance or shouting. Each squad is either defending, advancing or attacking but could be mixed just as easily. 


 First Lieutenant and his Additional man. (May replace this with a radio OP but need to look into it)


 Grenadier Squad 


  Grenadier Squad 


  Grenadier Squad 


Sniper Team

I've pretty much built the force just out of the 30 man box set. The only thing I'm missing is the assault rifles. I had one STG44 in my bits box and I've converted one but I'm not totally happy with it if I'm honest and I think I will rip it off and just buy some metal figures already armed with them.




Next I need to clean all the mouldlines off and fill a few bits here and there. Then I need pick up some uniform paints handily Warlord do bundles on there website and a local model shop carries the Vallejo paint line. So all being well I should be able to go in there with a list next week and pick up what I'm missing on pa day a pop into my LGS Waylands Forge and see if I can get me some Artizan troops with STG44's




33 comments:

  1. What a good start! It is excellent that you are starting with a German Platoon as they can just about fight anyone..... Ok not Japanese, Hungarians, Fins, Roumanians or Italians..... But all the major factions. I look forward to seeing this progress. Will you be doing Camouflage or simple Field Grey. Check the Artizan Web site for details of Camouflage patters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats why I chose an Axis side originally it was going to be German/Italian Paratroopers but got given this set of plastics so decided to try these first. Not sure yet depends on how difficult I find it.

      Delete
  2. Wow. All that from one box. Nice. Further to my investigations on the zombie rules for this, apparently they were brought out for Halloween last year or year before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan I had 5 spare figs as well!

      Delete
  3. Nice figures and poses. Haven't played it in a while, but I prefer Bolt Action for WW2 skirmish; great set of rules IMO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not tried anything on this sort of a scale for a long time so will be interesting to see how it plays.

      Delete
  4. Looking great!

    I think you should just convert the STG44 chaps, to keep the same bodies, but that's my logic.
    And Clint's right - they can fight anyone without making it look odd (actually including Rumanians in late war! :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually in very late war a Russian unit which had changed sides earlier in the war ended up fighting for freedom. SO there is precedent for German troops fighting Russian troops (in German uniform with German weapons). So German troops against German troops! They became heroes in Russian and there is a Russian film of it!

      Delete
    2. Yeah I've decided to just buy some from somewhere the time involved mucking about trying to meld metal and plastic and not being 100% pleased with the results mean I'm just going to pick some up instead. I'd need to buy some STG44's anyhow

      Delete
  5. Now if Bolt Action did modern versions of their rules, looking forward to what you do with these Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There quite good from what I've read so far. I'm sure they could be adapted with a little work.

      Delete
  6. Great start mate. I have put my Fallschirmjager on hold and will shortly be starting on my Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good mate. I fancied Japanese as well. But will see how deeply this bug bites!

      Delete
  7. Noe this looks like a wonderful distraction, best of luck Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another of your projects i will be watching with interest mate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool, its amazing how many various poses you can get from the WF sets. Can't wait to see them painted up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are sort 10 bodies so 3 of each type in a set. so its all down to arm position and heads.

      Delete
  10. Great variation in the multi-poses, the box set looks real value for money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As per above comment. Yeah I agree good value for money.

      Delete
  11. These Germans look very god for wargames factory all the older kits I've seen has big heads. Artizan does a few packs of Germans with the assault rifle I have the ones in great coats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some male zombies. But recently bought the Male Survivor set and with these and the American GI's they have certainly improved in quality in comparison.

      Delete
  12. That's a lot of figures to paint up! At least it's a bit easier since they're in uniform and therefore have the same colour scheme throughout :-) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I think these may be easier as I'm going to try and follow a painted guide with the colours used etc. So we shall see.

      Delete
  13. Wargames Factory have certainly got their act together and are producing some excellent boxed sets. These look great, Simon, and I look forward to seeing them painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really nice these recent sets are much better.

      Delete
  14. Looks good, Simon. Time to break out the field grey paint.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks pretty good. The force will soon be able to pack a punch!

    Now......PAINT THEM! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers and don't worry they shall be at least started this week :P

      Delete