Saturday 4 October 2014

Derby World Wargames Show

Had a lovely day out at the Derby World Wargames Show was a nice venue at Castle Donington International Exhibition Centre . Two day event running today and tomorrow. Plenty of free parking and the hall was spacious with and well laid out and easy to navigate. It has a nice cafe and good toilet facilities. I got to have a good nosy around and look at a lot of cool figures, vehicles and terrain. There was huge amount of traders though having got home could kick myself as I missed one trader whose wares I wanted to look at but that was my own fault as there was a lot of shiny on display around it I got side tracked.

I managed to snag a few photos of games not as many as I planned but I'll get better at this show report the more I go to :)

I got to meet a few bloggers and friends from facebook as well which was just awesome to meet people in the flesh. Met up with Shadowking and Doctor Warlock at midday at the Ainsty Castings stand and had a good natter and picked up the very first metal castings of The Mutts for S.D.Z.A. Also did a Chocolate Hob Nob supply drop over to the Tor Gaming stand and got to meet up with Gavin Moorcroft the creator of Relics and I got to look at a lot of the figs in the flesh and can't wait to get my stuff from the gamefunder earlier in the year I have the rulebook and a few figs to have a play with need to have a read of the rulebook and decide on an army!


A Few games that caught my eye. There were tons of demo games and displays. I think there was some tournaments on down one end of the hall there seemed to be a wide variety of games going on down there as well.

Rick Priestly was hosting a demo game of Gates of Antares  which the kickstarter got cancelled last year but is still in the works obviously. It looked pretty good the Aliens and some of the characters look decent. Judging by the dice it seems like it borrows some of Bolt Actions mechanics but coming both coming from Warlod that's not surprising.




I have got home and forgotten what this game was looks like it was American War of Independance and I've seen it before on other peoples blogs. It was very impressive and the next three photos are a sweep of the table from left to right.



A small demo board of Dead Mans Hand by Great Escape games (I Think) it looked really cool though especially the hangman's gibbet in the lower left corner.


e show was quite varied for me I picked up a few paints and inks and some figures for several projects.




Wolfen Jagers for Empire of the Dead


Studio and Hasslefree miniatures survivors for various games

Hansa Nairoba, Freeborn Mercenary Captain (Just because I like the figure)


Free sprue of Warlord French Light Infantry and some bases from Wargames Tournaments (These came in the free bag that was handed over on entry)

It was a great turn out I shall definitely be going again next year




 

17 comments:

  1. Wasn't able to go myself :( Happy for you, that you had a good time (ho-hum ;)
    I've never seen that HF mini with bow - it looks like a variant of one of their other mini's, going to have to check out the site.
    Zomtomber tomorrow ~ see you then.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. No its a new fig mate Laurie. Just come out in metal :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a good time. I like the loot and if you buy the occasional figure just because you like it.....

    Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wanted it for a while but overnight a use has suddenly been found for it!

      Delete
  3. Nice haul, Simon, and there is no better reason for buying a figure than "you like it!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan totally. I had a shopping list but tbh a lot fo the figs where just spur of the moment pick ups. Only thing on the list that I got was the paints.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great day was enjoyed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a Shame you were busy mate. It was a spot on show!

      Delete
  5. A wonderful day out Simon, and some tasty swag to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hopefully If I can get my ass in gear some may feature as part of Zomtober. Which reminds me I need to get this weekends done!

      Delete
  6. Yep, sounds like a good way to spend a day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fine display of great games - that one with rivers and large fortress is very impressive. Nice swag too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very impressive easily 10-12 feet long by about 6ft

      Delete
  8. Ah, colour me jealous. It's nice that you're getting more involved in the shows, I really miss those things here!
    I am surprisingly quite fond of that Gates of Antartes game, but their billion pounds target kickstarter honestly had no way of going anywhere.
    There's a nice eye candy in the rest of the photos as well, especially the AWI one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of the game. I'm not sure about the mechanics I'll have to try and get a game of bolt action in or something to see If I can see where they are coming from.

      Delete
  9. Haven't got to a show in some time, so thanks for sharing Simon

    ReplyDelete