Saturday 31 January 2015

New Project: The Brumville Garrison

Why!
Yep uh oh new project....... Well kind of new :)
Last September I picked up the Relics rulebook by Tor Gaming and a bunch of miniatures with the intention of starting it. I built a few figures and primed them but as usual distractions loomed and I never got around to finishing the bits I had started. 


Anyway New Year and I fancied finishing off something on the painting table reading Carl Packham's blog post about a tournament he attended recently got the Relics juices flowing again and with the Britanan being a bit different to what I've been painting recently I thought yeah why not. So deciding to do a bit or research into colour schemes and get photos for reference. I joined up the Relics Forums and the Relics facebook group looking for bit of inspiration only to discover another tournament is being held by the Worcester Wargames club at the end of March...... So it begins!


About the Tournament.
I've got a lot to do before the 29th March! Firstly I need to plan an army, paint it and learn to play the game ha! The tournament guidelines are pretty simple but the army list needs to be split into sections.

At the moment it stands as three games to played.

First Game = 300pts
Second Game = 300pts+100pts reinforcements
Third Game= 400pts

So the target points value in total I'm aiming for is 400 pts. I have traded some figures with a guy on the Tor facebook group and have a nice chunk of Britanans winging there way to me. The points with what I have already should bring me my army up to to around 350pts.
I have made a 300pt list but can't decide on the remaining 100pts I think I need to play a few games first to help me choose properly. I also bought some figures through Tor Gamings Game Funder project last year (A couple of Banished Knights) which are due to ship next month as well. I need to find out if they are allowed as they aren't officially in the rules yet.


Painting the first units.
To also help things along the Tor Gaming guys (a fab bunch I have to say) are also running a monthly painting competition on the forums. Where you select what units you plan on painting for the month and you paint them. At the end of each month the guys at Tor will choose a winner who gets a £15 coupon to spend in there store! Very Generous!

Bit of a late start for January only starting last weekend. But I managed to get my first chunk of my army finished with a few days left for this months comp. Hopefully the rest of my force should arrive this week sometime so I can get cracking on February's Challenge.

The first two units are a Royal Arcanum Guard (command, magic user character) and a Grenadier company bringing the painted finished units to a total points value of 111pts. These will be part of the core 300 so I have got 189pts to get done for that.



More information.
For those interested in the world of Relica and its setting there is a ton of useful info and background on the Tor Gaming Website. Also if you fancy trying out the rules you can for free its in there downloads section

http://torgaming.co.uk/




28 comments:

  1. Not sure if they're insanely cute or cutely insane - But I like 'em!! Great painting on these little fellows, Simon... though I get the impression they're actually rather large minis? I do hope you didn't get wet on that slimy step :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there not small but as there not exactly based on anything in real life it doesn't matter. They are a really characterful range. The new additions to all the already great looking factions are fantastic.

      Delete
  2. You are off to a great start with the Britanen's there Simon. :)

    The painting is ace, especially the gems and lenses. Great stuff all around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much dude. I quite enjoyed playing with the OSL on the Arcanum Guards hat. I shall have a play more when the rest of the minis land.

      Delete
  3. I have been tempted by the figures. But It is another game that my group will get all enthusiastic about and then move onto the next thing very quickly always trying to find the most ideal set of rules which everyone like. And that is the reason I will not be getting involved.

    Now your figures look ace and I know this would be the faction I would want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Clint. I love them all tbh. I really hope they get around to the fifth and sixth factions the Ridened and the C'thu some cool concept art has been seen kicking around.

      It only needs a couple of starters sets and a blister or to and your away.

      Delete
  4. I must admit that this is all new to me. I'd never heard of this game before. It looks seriously weird... but I like weird! It's not a game I can see myself getting into as I have way too many other projects to finance but I shall enjoy reading of your own exploits in this strange new world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a mixture of a lot of things. All the factions are great. The background is fantastic.

      Delete
  5. I love those, especially this faction! I got to say I it's a good thing nobody around me play anything but fow-infinity (peoples interest in GW games dropped considerably), as it saves me some money.

    When I was looking at those, the range was a lot smaller and I was surprised to see Carl's photos of tournament - there are so many different factions and all so full of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks yeah these are my favourite but tbh I like all the factions and looking forward to hopefully the Ridened

      Delete
  6. Wow - never seen/heard of these figures and rules; but they do look very cool. Your grenadiers look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much its a fun little ruleset requiring doubles to score hits. Its simple but has a good layer of tactics and buffs and of course there are some spells.

      Delete
  7. A strange and wierd bunch of minis but kinda cute right? you did them justice with the painting side of thiings, I look forward to seeing where this goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. They are a strange bunch. But there sources/inspiration are from some of my favourite films such as the Labyrinth, Pans Labyrinth, Dark Crystal

      Delete
  8. I must confess total ignorance of this lot. Very trippy.

    Great painting on your part. The OSL on the headgear is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much the pictures are a bit crap but i've not been able to get any better ones due to the sodding weather over here. The OSL was fun todo and I shall certainly have a go again on other miniatures.

      Delete
  9. Wow! Not sure what to say. Sackboy soldiers eh! Your painting's nice. I find these similar to SDE and I really don't like that style. Sorry dude, it's just not my cup of ........... I blame Vampifan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Bob. Everyone blames me! LoL!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bob. Its obviously set in a Fantasy land and they compliment each other well. The Britanans I think make good nutcracker soldiers and I think will get some use battling goblins intent on raiding Santas grotto or perhaps the easter bunnies egg plantations. :)

      Delete
  10. Definitely on the weird side, but nicely done as always. I'll look forward to further progress reports on this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. There will be plenty of strangeness coming for this project.

      Delete
  11. Hola
    Que buenos si señor
    Se ven unas pequeñas gran des piezas
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J.D the are all a good size the bases are 30mm so the figures are quite tall really.

      Delete
  12. Nice and weird, they look like Sam for the movie trick R treat, love that flick, one of the best horrors of this decade so far

    ReplyDelete
  13. Weird ans wonderful, yet strngely fascinating, proably all due to your fine brush-work

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, these guys are so cute! Brilliant execution on the paint job too!

    ReplyDelete