Sunday 6 July 2014

Plucky Young Archer and more on the Labyrinth Project.


I'm back! Had a great holiday it was a busy week but a much needed break been great doing loads of stuff with the family. Had very little internet down there despite having a smart phone the signal was lacking somewhat.

 This week has been chaotic coming back Monday evening and then straight back to the usual rushing about and has been tiring. Not to mention a bit stressful as well my youngest girl Leila set us both off  in a panic at 3am Thursday morning waking up in pain and struggling to breath. Turned out to be croup but she suffers from asthma and we thought it was an attack, Leila's ok now a Paramedic (Super speedy response and a fantastic lady) came out checked her over and we shot down to A&E to get an steroid antibiotic to treat the croup.

Finished reading my Goblin Companion book. Not a great deal of reading tbh very funny but the art was fantastic and really what its all about. I shall definitely pick up the Goblins of the Labyrinth and some of the other Froud books.

The Labyrinth project continues.  After reading the Goblin Companion is you can pretty much use any figures you like as there is such a wide variety both in size and in style. One though I had for a good themed Faction was perhaps young children who had escaped the Goblin Kings clutches and banded together with some of the nicer folk that are hinted at in the Labyrinth/Dark Crystal movies. Also The classic Dungeon and Dragon cartoon started calling so I thought ok lets look for some Fantasy themed children and found some great ones sold by Hasslefree. A quick scan about and a spot on ebay and I managed to pick up the Medieval pack for just over a fiver including postage.

Anyway enough waffle here is the first of the children finished. Not thought of a name yet might get Carmen my daughter to name her. A request of using a Cinderella colour scheme was passed on. Quite pleased how she has turned out despite not painting for a while. There is a slight gap at the back of the figure where there is a tile missing. Not sure yet what I'm going to do I've had various suggestions so shall mull it over.





Work has started on the other 3 from the pack and I hope to have them completed over the week. I ordered my first batch of figures from the Northumbrian Tin Soldiers Night Folk range. They arrived Thursday morning and they are fantastic I'll do a review later in the week of the first two blisters. I shall certainly be collecting all of them they are lovely miniatures and I'm looking forward to starting work on them

50 comments:

  1. Firstly great price on eBay well spotted. I think she has come out very well indeed and will fit into the Labyrinth incredibly well. I also like your new banner. Finally Glad you and the family had a good break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint it was like it was meant to be lol.

      Delete
  2. Great looking top picture, love this labyrinth...and Plucky is really cute, very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Phil. At the moment the girls are trying to come with a name for her.

      Delete
  3. Good to hear your daughter is doing better, and that figure is very nicely represented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just can't go wrong with Hasslefree figures, can you? A lovely mini and very well painted. Good to hear that all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No indeed they have a lot of great looking figures for nearly most type of game/genre.

      Delete
  5. I like this figure a lot. more because it's an archer that is not in a shooting pose.
    Great brushwork as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks yeah I do like those poses. Can't wait to get my hands on the new female modern archer they have done when it comes out.

      Delete
  6. love the figurine, love the head banner, and glad you had a lovely holiday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to hear your daughter is getting better mate!

    And good work on the miniature. Your painting skills seem to be constantly improving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, as usual. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The color scheme worked out quite well. The children faction will be interesting to see completed. Cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great, Simon. Very crisp PJ.

    Maybe it's the low angle of the photos, but the missing tile seems like a non-problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much I think its sort of looking at from above you can see it more.

      Delete
  11. Hola
    Se ve muy bien, es muy buena esa arquero, y el azul y el amarillo le pegan
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola J.D

      Thank you very much. I kind of picked a Cinderella Colour Scheme

      Delete
  12. I like the idea of a faction of children. Quite a challenge to paint them as they come in at about 15mm I believe. She turned out perfectly.

    Glad to hear you got out with the family Simon. I've been off blogger for about 6 weeks and am just now getting back to reading blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. Yeah they are really small but very characterful figures.

      Delete
  13. Don't know if these are to fantastical for your project but check out these orphan miniatures from zenit.

    http://shop.zenitminiatures.es/category.php?id_category=11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, They look good dude. I'll see if I can see squeeze a few in. Or as a separate war band perhaps.

      Delete
  14. Sounds like you had a worrying time with the little one Simon, but glad to hear all well now. This is a stunning return, fabulous job Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael yeah it was a bit scary. Thank you very much mate.

      Delete
  15. Stunning work on that little imp - she looks like she could handle herself well ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear all is now well with the family. I love the little tike and new banner and new switch of projects. Will you have a David Bowie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. I have spotted a Shadowrun that my friend found but I'm in two minds about it at the moment. Besides I'm thinking of maybe a Freebooters Fate figure wearing a mask.

      Delete
  17. She looks amazing. I'm looking forward to more Labyrinth work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. There will be a fair bit more.

      Delete
  18. That's a fantastic paint job, Brummie!
    The kids as a faction sound quite entertaining in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much mate. Yeah I was thinking of different factions that would go up against the goblins. As they are portrayed stealing children to turn into goblins in the film it just seem like a good idea.

      Delete
  19. Very nice. She reminds me of the babe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice rendering of the dress material Simon- good shading and highlights really make it special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much mate. I'm noticing that with certain types of figure I'm not layering enough and theres to much contrast between highlight and base coat.

      Delete
  21. Nice job Simon, When I read the post title I was thinking her name was Plucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I struggled for a post title tbh. Thanks mate.

      Delete
  22. Any Ides on how you will do the terrain for the Labyrinth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will more likely a bit like the goblin city. Have been eyeing up 4 Grounds about to be released Fantasy buildings. Hopefully i'll get my arse in gear this year and make a cobblestone board for EotD which will do double duty :D

      Delete